Monday, November 9, 2009

A weekend of racing and a new hatred for the SRAM chain



Saturday saw the OBRA Championships down in Salem. Clayton and I headed down for the fun. Clayton rocked the C race to a 6th place looking really strong for sure. He spent the whole race in no mans land just behind the lead group of guys in a headwind that would knock you over if you weren't careful. Solid. Then, just in time for the B race the rain came. At least the wind died down, but it made for a very wet affair. Worked out well for me and I snagged a spot on the podium, hard work for sure and quite a battle with the Portland Velo boys. Now a few beers and on to Sunday...

All lined up and ready to rock the B race at Cross Crusade number 7 and luck was not on my side. The call up had me sitting nicely in row two on a course I knew I would love. No real climbs, 3 run ups and miles of mud, what could be better? Fifteen seconds to go, bring it on, stoked. Racers ready, oh yeah. Go, snap, not moving, wtf, oh, stupid chain. That sums it up. At least I had a spare bike there for the WCSSCX so I yell to Clayton, get that SS to the pit as I start the jog. I get to the pit and mount the trusty Voodoo. Um, what was I thinking when I put this gear on, good god. That hurt. 32x13, bad idea. That about sums that up. And then, on to the WCSSCX race. I pull out the short shorts and throw on the Grundel formal kit and have, well, a lot of fun. Hamer and I hung out in the back for a while then he decided to call it a day, um, crap, I guess I'd better race then. With Brian so far up the road krushing it at the front I suppose I'll just try to make some friends out here. For some reason no one was really into chatting, odd. I even had someone throw down for a full on sprint finish for what must have been like, 100th place or something, really? Um, it's yours...

Hats of to the designers of that madness, short cut, nuff said. All in all, a fun day of racing out there. The Grundellegion saw the return, straight off the IR, our very own V-Power bringing home some glory in the womens race. Welcome back Lid. Saweet. All in all a day of a few mishaps, some strong racing by the boys, and perfect cross weather. Now on to the recovering from racing two races with gearing that should only be used by Magnus Ver Magnusson. Bring on Barlow.

Photo by Stephen Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment